This week the Lanzarote Security and Emergencies Consortium took to Playa Chica in Puerto del Carmen to present their summer campaign “Este verano chapuzón Seguro”, focused on improving safety on the island’s beaches and coasts for the summer.
Consortium President, Marcos Bergaz, Mayor of Tías, José Juan Cruz, and the coordinator of the Mapfre Guanarteme Foundation Activity, Laura Ojeda, presented their new summer safety campaign along with trainee life guards.
The presentation began with a heartfelt tribute to the 27-year-old who died recently, he was a student of the PFAE life guard school and a resident of Tías. His colleagues and attendees paid an emotional tribute, after observing a minute of silence.
“It should be noted that in 2021 there were 260 deaths throughout Spain with drowning as the cause, of which five took place on Lanzarote, which forces us all to take precautionary and preventative measures”, said Bergaz.
He explained that “the objective of the campaign is to inform the public of the safety measures we can take to avoid accidents in the water and to teach necessary lessons in what to do in the event of an emergency.”.
“The project will be extended to all of the island’s municipalities between the months of July and August.”.
– Friday 15 July. Teguise, Playa Caleta de Sebo Caleta de Sebo. La Graciosa.
– Saturday 16 July. Teguise, Playa Bastián Costa Teguise.
– Friday 22 July. Yaiza, Playa del Pueblo Playa Blanca.
– Saturday 23 July. Yaiza, Playa del Pueblo Playa Blanca.
– Friday 29 July. Haría, Playa La Garita Arrieta.
– Saturday 30 July. Haría, Playa La Garita Arrieta.
– Saturday 6 August. Tinajo, Muelle de La Santa La Santa.
– Saturday 13 August. Arrecife, Real Casino Club Náutico Arrecife.
– Friday 19 August. San Bartolomé, Playa de Guacimeta San Bartolomé.
– Saturday 20 August. San Bartolomé, Playa de Guacimeta San Bartolomé.
– Friday 26 August. Arrecife, Playa del Reducto Arrecife.
– Saturday 27 August. Arrecife, Playa del Reducto Arrecife.
For regular updates, pictures and videos of Lanzarote be sure to like and follow our Facebook page “Gazette Life Lanzarote”.