Vegan and vegetarian diets are on the rise, and although it’s hard to establish an exact number of vegans, recent surveys suggest there has been a 40% increase in 2020.
In a report by Food Navigator, the Covid-19 pandemic resulted in a 91% rise in interest in cooking (in the UK). Which undoubtedly made people think about their diets and the food they consume.
Meat consumption in Lanzarote has declined since 2020, and while the consumption of meat is still high, a decrease of 9.7% is noticeable.
You may be thinking of switching to a vegetarian or vegan diet, so here’s a list of shops on the island that sell vegan products:
– Lidl (Puerto del Carmen, Playa Honda, Arrecife)
– Mercadona (Playa Honda, Arrecife)
– Hiperdino (Playa Blanca, Puerto del Carmen, Playa Honda, Arrecife, Costa Teguise)
– Overseas (Playa Blanca, Playa Honda, Puerto del Carmen)
– Spar (Playa Blanca, Puerto del Carmen, Playa Honda, Arrecife, Costa Teguise)
– Roper (Playa Honda)
– Yash Mini-market (Puerto del Carmen)
– Supermercado Chao (Arrecife)
It’s important to remember to stock up on foods that provide minerals and vitamins that are often deficient in vegan diets such as Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, Omega-3 Fatty Acids, Zinc and Iron.
Be sure to check out the Vegans & Vegetarians in Lanzarote page for any questions you may have about your adventure into veganism.
For regular updates, pictures and videos of Lanzarote be sure to like and follow our Facebook page “Gazette Life Lanzarote”.