Albóndigas (meatballs) are a classic Spanish home recipe and a famous tapas dish, tasty and comforting.
• 500 g minced meat (pork, beef or mixture)
• 3 garlic cloves
• 1 egg
• 2 onions
• 50g breadcrumbs
• 1 carrot
• 100ml milk
• 500 mls chicken stock
• 200 mls white wine
• 1 tbspn white flour
1. Soak the breadcrumbs in the milk. In a bowl, mix well with the meat, the egg, one chopped garlic clove, a tablespoon of finely chopped parsley and a pinch of salt and pepper.
2. Form meatballs and fry them in olive oil until browned all over. Set aside.
3. Chop the onions, carrot and two garlic cloves and fry gently in olive oil for ten minutes, add garlic towards the end. Add flour and wine, stir and reduce a little. Add the chicken stock and cook for 20 minutes.
4. Whizz the sauce with a blender and add to a casserole dish with the meatballs. Cook for ten minutes, cover and allow to rest for a few minutes before serving.
• 1 cup short grain Spanish rice
• 2 cups water
• A bayleaf
A heavy-bottomed saucepan is best for the rice. Chop the garlic and fry very briefly in a glug of olive oil on a medium heat. Add the rice and fry until it’s coated. Add the water and the bay leaf, bring to a simmer and cover. After 15 minutes, the rice should be cooked and fluffy. Sprinkle with a little lemon juice and serve.
For regular updates, pictures and videos of Lanzarote be sure to like and follow our Facebook page “Gazette Life Lanzarote”.