The Castillo de Guanapay, overlooking Teguise, has been re-opened to the public after three years of renovations.
Also known as the Castillo de Santa Barbara, the castle is the oldest in the Canaries, built in 1591 on the site of a fortress constructed in the mid 14th century by Lancelotto Malocello, the Italian explorer who gave his name to Lanzarote. For centuries the castle served as a refuge for locals from the frequent raids by pirates and slavers.
Access to areas of the castle remains limited, as some works are still being carried out – and the toilets are not currently in operation. However, Teguise Ayuntameiento has decided to grant free entry to visitors, as the Pirate Museum is not
The castle is open daily from 9 am to 4 pm (Sundays 3 pm.)
For regular updates, pictures and videos of Lanzarote be sure to like and follow our Facebook page “Gazette Life Lanzarote”.