25th May 2023 @ 8:40 am

If you’re registered to vote in the local elections on Sunday, you’ve probably already received a bunch of electoral leaflets in the post. Here’s what to do with them.

British and non-Spanish residents from EU countries are only allowed to vote in council elections. That means that, unless you’re Spanish, the lists and envelopes for the Canarian Parliament, Senate  and Cabildo elections can go straight into your recycling bin.

As you can see above, the correct envelope is marked ELECCIONES LOCALES. CONCEJALES/AS  (Local Elections: Councillors).

Each list will also be headed with these same words. The name of your municipality (Yaiza/Tías/ Teguise etc) will come below, followed by the name and logo of the political party.

These are official lists that can be used for voting, and you can simply pop the one for your chosen party into the envelope that’s usually provided, take it along to the polling station, show your ID and drop it into the ballot box there and then.

If you haven’t received anything, or forget your envelope, don’t worry. Just find the correct list at your polling station, on the tables outside or in the private voting booth, put it in the correct envelope and vote.

Only one list can be placed in an envelope. An empty envelope is called a “blank vote”, and is still registered. This is usually done in protest.

The names on the list are the candidates for the party in question. The more votes a party gets, the more names on the list will get seats on the council. 

For regular updates, pictures and videos of Lanzarote be sure to like and follow our Facebook page “Gazette Life Lanzarote”.