One of the biggest events in the Indian calendar takes place this month. The Indian Delights restaurant in Playa Blanca have already started preparing for Diwali, ordering fresh ingredients, cooking the base gravies and making traditional sweets.
Diwali is a time when households welcome the goddess Lakshmi into their homes with traditional lights and patterns made from powders, flowers, and candles. This year, it falls on November 12th.
Before the Festival of Light begins, Hindu families will clean their houses, wear traditional clothing, prepare the Diyas, Rangoli patters and firecrackers before sharing a meal and traditional sweets.
The Indian Delights restaurant in Playa Blanca have already started preparing for Diwali, ordering fresh ingredients, cooking the base gravies and making traditional sweets.
Here’s what owner Ramesh recommends from the menu:
1. JALFREZI – a medium spicy curry consisting of chicken or lamb in a rich tomato-based sauce with chunky chilli peppers, fresh tomato slices and onion.
2. BUTTER CHICKEN – a deliciously rich and smooth curry originating in Delhi consisting of chicken in a creamy tomato and butter sauce.
3. HYDERABADI – hailing from Hyderabad this curry is well-spiced and full of flavour. It is slow cooked over low heat until the chicken and spices are well cooked.
4. ACHARI – literally meaning “pickled” this North Indian curry uses a tasty combination of fennel seeds, nigella seeds and fenugreek seeds for a warming, rich flavour.
5. MUSHROOM TANDOORI – mushrooms are first marinated in spices, herbs and yoghurt before being skewered and lowered in the Indian Tandoor until well done.
6. CHOLE MASALA – one of the most popular vegetarian dishes in India made with chickpeas, onions, tomatoes, and plenty of aromatic spices. This is a staple in northern India.
7. PALAK PANEER – a stunning green dish consisting of paneer cheese in a thick sauce made from “palak” (fresh spinach.) It’s smooth, creamy, and delicious.
For dessert the restaurant will be offering a refreshing Mango Mastani – a sweet treat made with ice cream, mango, cashew nuts, dates, raisins, cardamom, and pistachios.
DIWALI AT INDIAN DELIGHTS
Indian Delights will be bringing an authentic 5-day Diwali experience to Playa Blanca for the fourth time since their opening in August 2020.
The restaurant will be starting the celebrations in style on the 12th of November. You are welcomed by owners Ramesh and Saraswati to enjoy the delicious food and watch the opening Diwali fireworks display at 9:30pm on the first day.
The interior will, of course, be fully decorated with Diyas and Rangoli patterns, and the staff will all be wearing traditional clothing.
Throughout the 5-day celebration traditional sweets will be given for free to customers, as they would be shared during Diwali in Indian households.
If you want to come along to see how Diwali is celebrated, Indian Delights style, booking is highly recommended (call in to book before 6pm), which can be made by calling directly on +34 828 058 229 or +34 686 010 125. Book now before it’s too late – the tables are going fast!
For regular updates, pictures and videos of Lanzarote be sure to like and follow our Facebook page “Gazette Life Lanzarote”.