The Cabildo of Lanzarote has pledged assistance to Morocco after the earthquake on Friday that has so far cost more than 2,000 lives.
Cabildo President Oswaldo Betancort said the Cabildo would do all it could to inform residents on Lanzarote about family and friends in the area. Staff from the island’s Geoparque who were attending a congress in Marrakesh have been located and are safe.
Francisco Aparicio of the Emergency Consortium said that firemen who specialize in collapsed buildings would be among the resources offered to the Canarian Government, which is co-ordinating assistance with the Moroccan Home Office.
Police on Lanzarote have reported receiving several calls from residents who felt the earthquake on Friday night, 500 kilometres away.
For regular updates, pictures and videos of Lanzarote be sure to like and follow our Facebook page “Gazette Life Lanzarote”.